I had the idea for this cake a while ago my boyfriend doesn’t really like cake but he likes cookies so I have been trying to make a cookie cake for aggges but I just could never seem to get it right until now. I was finally so happy with how this turned out it is two layers of cookie filled with white, milk and dark chocolate chips and well as M&M’s it is sandwiched together with vanilla buttercream and decorated with vanilla buttercream and sprinkles.
This cookie cake is essentially two giant cookies on top of one another. I baked them in the same 8” cake tins that I bake my cakes in. I made the cookie dough slightly differently than my Cookie Dough Cheesecake but it is still essentially the same idea. I used both granulated (not caster) sugar and light brown sugar and mixed with butter.
You can use either Stork or Unsalted butter in the cookie but you can only use Unsalted Butter for the buttercream and Stork makes the buttercream too soft. Next I added in plain flour and an egg. In the cookie dough recipes I don’t use egg because I’m a bit weird about eating raw egg but because these are baked I don’t mind it.
I then loaded these cookies full of chocolate chips and M&Ms. I used white, milk and dark chocolate chips and two share bags of chocolate M&Ms. You don’t need to use different types of chocolate chips and you might prefer to use the peanut M&Ms instead it is totally up to you.
I baked this in the oven for 40-45 minutes because of all the chocolate and M&Ms I put in it took slightly longer to bake, depending on how much chocolate chips and M&Ms you add yours might take more or less time than mine to bake. Also if you are using different sized cake tins then this might affect the length of time it takes to bake.
To decorate I put the bottom cookie on my favourite plate piped the vanilla buttercream onto it. Next I put the top cookie on top and decorated this I used a Wilton 1M Piping Tip I didn’t want to decorate the full top of the cookie like I would a cake I wanted people to be able to see the chocolate chips and M&Ms so I decided to just decorate around the edge of the cake with buttercream and decorate with some sprinkles from Iced Jems.
This will keep for 3-4 days.
I used chocolate M&Ms but you could use crunchy M&M’s or Peanut M&M’s. I don’t know if you would get the same results if you use Smarties. They tend to discolour when baking.
This cookie cake will serve 10-12
200g Light Brown Sugar
50g Granulated Sugar
150g Unsalted Butter/Stork
350g Plain Flour
2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 Large Egg
2tsp Vanilla Extract
100g Milk Chocolate Chips
100g Dark Chooclate Chips
100g White Chocolate Chips
For the Buttercream
400g Icing Sugar
200g Unsalted Butter
1tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4) line 2 round 8″ cake tins and leave to one side.
- In a bowl cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, egg and vanilla extract. Mix until all combined and there is no sign of any lumps. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s. I left a few of each of the chocolate chips and M&Ms to sprinkle over the top.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking tins roughly around 500g-525g in each tin, sprinkle over some leftover chocolate chips and M&Ms over the top and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. You will know it is ready when it doesn’t wobble.
- Leave to cool in the tins. While the cookies are cooling make the buttercream.
- In a bowl beat the butter until it is soft. Add in the icing sugar and vanilla and mix until it is smooth.
- I use a disposable piping bag and a Wilton 1M piping tip to pipe the icing onto the cookies. I decorated it with some sprinkles.
You can find me on:
Ko-Fi (in case you would like to buy me a cup of coffee to help me write my blog posts, it would be much appreciated!)
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.