Delicious Rocky Road, Fluffy Marshmallows, Crunchy Biscuit coated in melted Chocolate.
Every bakery, cafe, and shop everywhere has there own version of Rocky Road. It is such a popular traybake so I just had to post my own version it. My boyfriend’s sister, LOVES this rocky road so everytime I see her I make sure I have some for her. Anyway, I bake with milk chocolate just because I don’t like dark chocolate I just find it so bitter, but if you would prefer you could make yours with dark chocolate or even white chocolate (if you decide to use white chocolate don’t add the butter or the golden syrup just melt the white chocolate in a pan on a low heat.)
Everyone has there own way to make Rocky Road, my mum adds Glace Cherries to hers, other people add nuts or sultanas. For my Rocky Road, I add Malteasers. It doesn’t matter what other flavours I add I ALWAYS have Malteasers. It gives the Rocky Road an extra crunch, digestives are good (and you could just add 200g of digestives and no Malteasers) but who doesn’t love Malteasers? There’s nothing better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a good TV show and tucking into a slice of crunchy, chocolatey and marshmallowy square of Rocky Road with pieces of Malteasers throughout.
I use pink and white mini marshmallows to give the Rocky Road a bit of colour other than brown but you could add sprinkles to the top or melt 100g of white chocolate and drizzle it over the top. I cut mine into 9 pieces, you can make them into bigger or smaller individual squares depending on how much Rocky Road you like. I am rubbish at cutting up even squares so the bigger the better for me any smaller and I usually end up with big squares and tiny little ones too.
This recipe makes 9-20 squares.
400g Milk Chocolate
125g Unsalted Butter
75g Golden Syrup
120g Digestive Biscuits
- Line a 9×9 inch square baking tray with greaseproof paper and leave to the side.
- In a bowl crush up your digestives, I do this by hand just because the digestives will be different sizes some will be small others will be big. Cut half of the Maltesers in half and add them to the bowl, along with the whole Malteasers. Finally, add 100g of Maltesers to the bowl and leave to the side.
- In a pan melt the milk chocolate, butter and syrup on a low heat. Mixing continuously until all melted. The chocolate should be smooth.
- Remove the pan for the heat and add in the crushed digestives, Maltesers and marshmallows and mix until they are all coated in the chocolate.
- Tip the mixture into the baking tin making sure you push it into all the corners and there are no gaps.
- Finally, sprinkle the rest of marshmallows and digestive biscuits over the top of your rocky road and push them gently down so that they stick to the chocolate.
- Leave in the fridge overnight or until the chocolate has set before cutting it into individual squares. I cut it mine into 9 squares.
You can find me on:
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.