Super moist Chocolatey Cupcakes with a hidden Oreo, topped with Oreo Buttercream.
After the success of my Oreo Cheesecake it was only a matter of time before I tried out some new Oreo recipes. These cupcakes are sooooo simple to make and taste utterly delicious. If you are looking for something yummy to make without much fuss then these are perfect. I started with a chocolate sponge for my cupcakes because who doesn’t love chocolate? But I decided to add a little surprise in the bottom so I added a whole Oreo which fitted perfectly into the bottom of my cupcake cups.
Once the cupcakes had baked I let them cool and started to make the buttercream. The buttercream is just a simple buttercream that I use on most of my cupcake recipes. I use half the butter to icing sugar and for these I added 6 crushed Oreos. I found it easier to pop them in my food processor for a few seconds which turned them into super fine crumbs but you could put them in a bag and give them a good bash with a rolling pin. I just found the food processor made them smaller and easier to pipe with.
The buttercream should turn a greyish colour with little specs of Oreo dellllish! I think I ate more than what I put on top of my cupcakes. If you manage to get to the end of this recipe with some Oreos left then you can use them to decorate. I added a full Oreo to the top of each cupcake but you could crush some extra when you are making the buttercream and sprinkle it on top of your cupcakes.
This recipe makes 12 Cupcakes.
For the Cupcakes
175g Caster Sugar
175g Unsalted Butter
40g Cocoa Powder
135g Self-Raising Flour
3 Large Eggs
1tsp Baking Powder
For the Buttercream
500g Icing Sugar
250g Unsalted Butter
6-7 Crushed Oreos
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4). Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases. Put one whole Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake/muffin tin and leave to the side.
- Mix together the butter and sugar until it is well combined. Add in the cocoa powder, self-raising flour, eggs and baking powder and mix together to get your cake batter.
- Spoon the mixture into your cupcake/muffin cases and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes (until a skewer inserted comes out clean).
- While your cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream. Crush the Oreos into fine crumbs or blitz them in a food processor. Mix together the icing sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in the crushed Oreos and mix.
- Pipe the buttercream on top of the cupcakes I use a Wilton 1M Open Star tip and decorate with another Oreo.
Tips and Tricks
These cupcakes will last for 2-3 days in an airtight container (if they are not eaten first)
Depending on how Oreoy you want the buttercream you can crush more or less and add them there is no right amount.
Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please ask for permission and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You can find me on
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!