Chocolatey Cupcakes topped with Orange Buttercream and a Chocolate Orange Segment.
I made this recipe a while ago and completely forgot I hadn’t posted it until I found the pictures I had taken on my laptop. I was inspired to make these cupcakes after making a Terry’s Chocolate Orange birthday cake for a friends mum. I never posted the recipe for the cake although it proved quite popular on my Instagram, so I decided to make it into cupcakes for this blog post. This is the first Terry’s Chocolate Orange recipe on my blog and hopefully it isn’t the last.
The recipe is quite simple, I used the same chocolate cupcake recipe I used for my Rocky Road Cupcakes I added cocoa powder to the cake batter to make them super chocolatey. For the buttercream I added orange flavouring and also coloured it orange (of course!) before simply adding a chocolate orange segment on top. I like to try and keep the taste of my recipes as close to the original biscuit/sweet as possible. With the chocolate cupcake and orange flavoured buttercream you will instantly know what kind of cupcakes these are without having to put an orange segment on top.
I have been super busy with University work at the minute but hopefully when my exams are over I will be able to expand my flavours and also my bakes. I have a notebook full of fudge, tart, milkshake, cookie, cookie bars, cheesecake, cake, cupcake and rocky road recipes (the list goes on) I just haven’t had the time to experiment yet. If you have any flavour or bake requests then don’t hesitate to let me know! Sometimes I worry about repeating the same recipes.
This recipe makes 12 Cupcakes.
For the Cupcakes
175g Caster Sugar
175g Unsalted Butter
40g Cocoa Powder
135g Self-Raising Flour
3 Large Eggs
1tsp Baking Powder
For the Buttercream
500g Icing Sugar
250g Unsalted Butter
1tsp Orange Flavouring
Orange Food Colouring
Terrys Chocolate Orange
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4). Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Mix together the butter and sugar until it is well combined. Add in the cocoa powder, self-raising flour, eggs and baking powder and mix together to get your cake batter.
- Spoon the mixture into your cupcake/muffin cases and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes (until a skewer inserted comes out clean).
- While your cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream. Mix together the icing sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in the orange flavouring and a small amount of orange food colouring (add small amounts and mix again until you get the orange you want) and mix.
- Pipe the buttercream on top of the cupcakes I use a Wilton 1M Open Star tip and decorate with an orange segment.
Tips and Tricks
Cut a hole in the middle of the cupcakes once the cool and fill the hole with Marmalade for extra orangeyness.
These cupcakes will last for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
I buy my baking cups from Iced Jems. They are slightly bigger than normal cupcakes cases so you might find you end up with a little extra cake mix (YAY extra cupcakes).
Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please ask for permission and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You can find me on
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!