Vanilla Sponge, with layers of caramel and chocolate buttercream topped with millionaire shortbread slices.
This is the first cake post on my blog. It took me a while to come up with the perfect recipe but I think I have finally found it! This Millionaires Cake, is utterly divine! Three vanilla Sponges all topped with a layer of caramel and chocolate buttercream and decorated with millionaires shortbread it is ADDICTIVE!
I made this cake with three sponges as I just love the way it looks and it gives the cake and bit more height than just with two sponges. However, if you don’t have three cake tins or simply just prefer a smaller cake then have a look at my tips section for the recipe.
I used cocoa powder when making the chocolate buttercream, you can of course use chocolate if you prefer melting it, and leaving it to cool slightly before adding it into the icing sugar and butter. I used cocoa powder simply because it was easier (and I had some leftover in the kitchen cupboard). For the caramel, I used Carnations, again because it was easier but you can buy a tin of condensed milk and boil it or make caramel buttercream using a caramel flavouring. If you add a pinch of salt to the caramel, or the caramel buttercream then you can make this a salted-caramel millionaires cake.
This 3 layered cake serves 12-15 people.
For the Cake
400g Caster Sugar
400g Unsalted Butter
400g Self-Raising Flour
8 (400g) Large Eggs
2tsp Baking Powder
2tsp Vanilla Extract
500g Icing Sugar
250g Unsalted Butter
25g Cocoa Powder
1 Tin Carnations Caramel
Millionaire Shortbread Pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160 Fan/Gas Mark 4). Line 3 8″ cake tins with baking parchment and leave to the side.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the flour and eggs and mix until well combined. Finally add in the baking powder and vanilla extracts and mix for a final time.
- Divide the mixture between the three cake tins. There should be approx. 450g in each. Bake in the oven for 25-30 min, or until golden. The cake should spring back when touched.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the buttercream. Mix together the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder until smooth. You may need to add a tsp or two of milk to get it just right. Then leave to the side.
- Once the cakes have cooled, you can stack and decorate them. With put your base cake on a plate or cake stand. Spread a layer of caramel over the top, this can be as much or as little as you like. Pipe your buttercream on top of the caramel, and then place your middle cake on top. Repeat this step on top of your middle layer.
- For the top layer, pipe on your chocolate buttercream and decorate. I used millionaire shortbread bites.
Tips and Tricks
If you would rather do a 2 layer cake rather then 3 then you will need 300g of caster sugar, unsalted butter, self-raising flour, 6 eggs and 1.5tsp of baking powder and vanilla.
You can use golden caster sugar rather than caster sugar for a more toffee tasting sponge.
This cake will last 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please ask for permission and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You can find me on
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!