Chocolate flavoured cupcakes topped with whipped cream and marshmallows.
I was inspired to make these cupcakes one miserable and cold day when all I wanted to do was curl up with a hot chocolate and watch Christmas films. What is better than hot chocolate? Hot chocolate in cupcake form! I started by making the chocolate cupcakes, and decorated them with cream instead of buttercream and of course some marshmallows.
I had so many ideas on how to decorate these, I wanted to include marshmallows, cocoa powder, a flake, some chocolate sauce but I thought that this would just make the cupcakes too OTT. I decided that simpler was better and so settled on just marshmallows and some cocoa powder sprinkled over the top and I’m so glad I did because they look just as good as they taste!
This recipe makes 12
For the Cupcakes
175g Caster Sugar
175g Unsalted Butter
175g Self-Raising Flour
3 Large Eggs
50g Cocoa Powder
1tsp Baking Powder
500ml Double Cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4). Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Sieve in the self-raising flour and add the eggs and cocoa powder before mixing until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into baking cases and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and springy to touch.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, whip the double cream, you will know it is ready when you can hold the bowl upside down and it doesn’t move. Pipe onto the top of your cupcakes and sprinkle with marshmallows. I used pink and white ones.
- Finally, I sprinkled some cocoa powder over the top.
Tips and Tricks
The cupcakes will last 2-3 days in an airtight container.
The cupcakes must be completely cool before you start decorating otherwise the cream will just melt.
I get my baking cups from Iced Jems. They are slightly deeper than normal cupcake cases so you might find you have some cake mixture left over (YAY! More cakes!)
Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please ask for permission and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You can find me on
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!