Strawberry and Rum cupcakes with a hint of lime topped with Strawberry Daiquiri buttercream.
As the dark nights draw in and Christmas music greets us in the supermarket summer suddenly feels like a life time ago, which is why I am posting this cupcake recipe now. I was at the Cake and Bake Show in Manchester when I came across Sugar and Crumbs icing. They have so many different flavours one of them was Strawberry Daiquiri and I just had to have it! I also bought their Pina Colada and Peach Bellini favours too everyone needs a little summer pick me up (right?)
In the cupcake batter I added Strawberry flavouring, lime zest and of course some rum to mimic a real Strawberry Daiquiri. I decorated it with the Sugar and Crumb Strawberry Daiquiri icing which is SO delicious! It is made from all natural ingredients and is gluten free and suitable for vegans, not only that it also tastes EXACTLY like Strawberry Daiquiri.
I also use Iced Jems baking cups for all my cupcakes. They are slightly larger than standard cupcake cases so you might find you have some extra cake batter left over to make more than 12 cupcakes (Result!) It also means there is more cupcake for you to enjoy! However if you are using standard baking cases then have a look at my Tips and Tricks at the bottom of this page for a smaller quantity recipe.
This recipe makes 12.
175g Caster Sugar
175g Self-Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Strawberry Flavouring
Zest of 1 Lime.
500g Sugar and Crumb Strawberry Daiquiri Icing Sugar
12 Strawberries to decorate
Red 100 and 1000s
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4). Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Sieve in the self-raising flour and add the eggs and vanilla before mixing until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add in the zest of 1 lime, the strawberry flavouring and the Rum. Mix together until they are all incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into baking cases and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and springy to touch.
- While the cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream.
- Mix together the butter and the icing, you may need to add a tsp or two of milk in to make it the right consistency.
- Pipe onto the cupcakes and decorate I used fresh strawberries and red 100s and 1000s.
Tips and Tricks
These will last for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Instead of using the Sugar and Crumb icing you could just mix together butter and standard icing sugar and add 1 tsp of strawberry flavouring.
If you are using standard baking cups, reduce the butter, flour and caster sugar to 125g also the Rum and Strawberry flavouring to 1 1/2 teaspoons and you will only need 2 eggs; just keep everything else the same.
Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please ask for permission and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You can find me on
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!