Chocolate Cupcakes topped with Chocolate buttercream topped with Malteasers, marshmallows, chocolate chips and Glacé cherries.
I decided to make these when I realised that from previous bakes I had leftover marshmallow, glacé cherries and chocolate chips, so I popped to the shop to buy a small bag of Malteasers and vola! I had everything I needed to make these Rocky Road Cupcakes.
I made the chocolate cupcakes using cocoa powder and did consider putting chocolate chips and marshmallows inside the sponge however, I decided that it would maybe be too much with the decoration on top. The buttercream on top is made using cocoa powder too and if you wanted you could stop there before adding the rest of the toppings and have a death by chocolate cupcake.
I cut up the Malteasers and Glacé Cherries into halves and quarters so that I had different sizes depending on where I was going to put them on the cupcake. I made sure that when I put the toppings on I had a little of each so that all of them were the same but also you get the full Rocky Road taste.
This makes 12
175g Caster Sugar
40g Cocoa Powder
135g Self-Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
460g Icing Sugar
40g Cocoa Powder
65g Glace Cherries
50g Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 4). Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Mix together the butter and sugar until it is well combined. Add in the cocoa powder, self-raising flour, eggs and baking powder and mix together to get your cake batter.
- Spoon the mixture into your cupcake/muffin cases and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes (until a skewer inserted comes out clean).
- While the cakes are cooling cut your Glacé Cherries and Malteasers (I cut mine into quarters and halves but you can do them any size you want). Leave these too the side and make your buttercream.
- Mix together the butter, icing sugar, and cocoa powder together add in the milk if your mixture is too thick.
- Pipe your buttercream on top of your cakes and too finish them off decorate with your chopped Malteasers, cherries, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
Tips and Tricks
These will last in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
You don’t need to add the Glacé Cherries, marshmallows, chocolate chips and Malteasers and instead just have a delicious super chocolatey cupcake.
If you have extra marshmallows, chocolate chips, cherries or malteasers you can add them into the chocolate cake mixture and have Rocky Road cupcakes inside and out.
As a substitute for Malteasers you can use Digestive Biscuits instead.
Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please ask for permission and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You can find me on
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!