Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry Cupcakes inside these delicious ice cream cones. Topped with chocolate, vanilla and strawberry buttercream, sprinkles and of course a flake.
If like me you are trying to cling onto the last remnants of summer then these unique cupcakes are exactly what you need! I found a similar recipe to these in a magazine and immediately set about making my own version. I couldn’t understand how a cupcake inside a cone would work or how it would taste but I can confirm it is delicious!
I decided on trying a Neapolitan recipe 1) because I never have tried on before and 2) since these are in an ice cream cone why not use ice cream flavours? I started this recipe off by making a basic cupcake mix with slightly higher weights than usual as the cones are deeper than cupcake cases. Once I had made the basic recipe I split it up into three different bowls and added each different flavours. I decided to layer the flavours chocolate, vanilla and strawberry and spooned them in one at a time into the cones. I left a gap at the top approximately 1 1/2cm because again I wasn’t sure how much the cake batter would rise when they were in the oven.
For the buttercream I again made one bowl or buttercream and then split it into 3 separate bowls again flavouring them with chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. I put all three flavours into the same piping bag so that when I piped it on top of my cones, you would be able to see the chocolate, vanilla and strawberry colours a hint at what is inside. Finally I topped it off with some spinkles and a flake. If you close your eyes while you are eating these you can almost imagine that you are back at the seaside.
This makes 12
12 Ice Cream Cones
150g Caster Sugar
150g Self-Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
10g Cocoa Powder
1tsp Vanilla Essence
1tsp Strawberry Flavouring
500g Icing Sugar
10g Cooca Powder
1/4tsp Strawberry Flavouring
1/4tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC (160ºC Fan, Gas Mark 4) and in cupcake/muffin tin place 12 ice cream cones.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and caster sugar until light and creamy. Add in the flour, eggs and baking powder mix together until all the ingredients are combined.
- Split the cake batter into three separate bowls, this should roughly be 175g each. In one bowl add the cocoa powder and mix until it is all combined. In the second bowl add the vanilla essence and again mix until it is all combined, finally add the strawberry flavouring to the third bowl and yes you guessed it mix it until combined.
- Carefully spoon the mixtures into the cones. I started with chocolate, then added vanilla and finally the strawberry batter. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the cakes are baked and cooled you can start making the icing. For this I mixed the butter and icing sugar together in a bowl before again splitting it into three separate bowls each bowl should have roughly 125g in each. In one I added the cocoa powder, the other strawberry and in the third vanilla. I put all three of these in the one piping bag in order to get tricoloured swirls. I topped it off with some sprinkles and a flake.
Tips and Tricks
These will last 2-3 days in an airtight container.
You don’t need to use Neapolitan colours and flavours a simple vanilla or chocolate cupcake inside the cone would also work.
Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please ask for permission and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You can find me on
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!