Happy Fourth of July!!
These cupcakes are a basic simple cupcake recipe, with a funfetti surprise inside topped with patriotic red and white buttercream and white chocolate stars.
After spending three months last summer working in America where I got to celebrate 4th July it dawned on me just how big a holiday it is in the states, so I have decided to make Confetti cupcakes to celebrate the occasion.
The confetti in these is essentially just sprinkles, in all shapes and colours but I also added in red and blue M&M’s. This just gives the cupcake something extra other than a lot of sprinkles.
These are perfect if you are celebrating Fourth of July, or any other occasion you just need to change the colour of the buttercream and add lots of sprinkles.
This makes 12 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
125g self-raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
125g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
2 medium eggs
Assortment of sweets
For the Decoration
500g icing sugar
A choice of food colouring
Even more sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan oven) gas mark 6. Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs and milk into a mixture bowl and beat with a hand-held electric whisk or until the mixture is pale and very soft. Half fill each paper case with the mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Using a corer , make a hole in the middle of the cupcake, be sure to leave a little cupcake on the bottom so that all the confetti (sprinkles) don’t fall out. Fill the hole with sprinkles and use the piece of cake you removed to recover the hole.
- Mix together the butter and icing sugar in a bowl, at this stage you can also add any food colouring if you wish.
- Pipe the icing on top of the cupcake and top with some final sprinkles.Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please credit me, or link back to this post for the full recipe. Thank you!
You can find me on: