In the middle of this heatwave, why not try these to cool yourself down.
With a light and fluffy sponge topped with strawberry buttercream, chocolate sauce sprinkles and a glacé cherry perfect for any summer BBQ or party. To make the strawberry buttercream I used strawberry milkshake powder however you could change it for chocolate or banana and make a variation of these cupcakes.
I made these cupcakes on one of the hottest days of the year so far, so after making the buttercream I put it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes for it to firm up before I piped it on the cupcakes. I done three swirls and a peak before drizzling on the chocolate sauce, using a tiny amount of sprinkles as I didn’t want them to overtake the cupcakes and finishing it of with a glacé cherry.
This recipe makes 12.
125g self-raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
125g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
2 medium eggs
425g icing sugar
75g strawberry milkshake powder
Pink food colouring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan oven) gas mark 6. Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases
- Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs and milk into a mixture bowl and beat with a hand-held electric whisk or until the mixture is pale and very soft. Half fill each paper case with the mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Mix together the icing sugar, strawberry milkshake powder and butter, I added a bit of pink food colouring to make the pink pop brighter.
- Pipe the icing to the cake, drizzle some chocolate sauce to the top as well as the sprinkles and not to forget the cherry on top.
Tips and Tricks
These cupcakes will last for 3 days in an air tight container.
Sarah’s Cupcake Blog: Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission. If you would like to republish this recipe, please ask for permission and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You can find me on
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!